1. When I run GeoWEPP, I receive a “Could not open weppfiles.zip”.
This error occurs because a file (zlib.dll) was not copied to the newly created subdirectory. This has been corrected in the new release of GeoWEPP (January 2005) and the updated version of the previous release (March 2004.1). If you have the March 2004 version, just click here and download the zip file and open it into you GeoWEPP directory.
2. Why a new version?
We have noticed there is a demand for certain features that GeoWEPP does not have. To meet this demand and provide you, the user, with a better program, we have tried to update our early versions and add some features. For example, the January 2005 release has four different example sets for you to experiment with. We have also tried to fix the bugs that have been reported to us. Shortly, a new use manual will be provided so you can learn about the new features.
3. I heard this was the last ArcView version to be released. Is this true?
Yes. As time passes, GIS technology becomes more advanced, while the older versions are used less and less. The decision was made to complete one last ArcView version with some upgrades and then move on to ArcGIS 9. ArcGIS 9 will allow us to increase the capabilities of GeoWEPP by including the tools that we could not in ArcView. The ArcGIS 9 GeoWEPP project will begin in early 2005.
4. Will you still support the ArcView versions?
Yes. We will continue to fix any bugs that may occur, but we will not be adding any more features to this version.
5. I noticed some of the links in the program no longer exist. How can this be corrected?
It is difficult to keep tabs on the everchanging internet. If you do find that a link in GeoWEPP is no longer active, please check our Community Available Data Sources page for any updated links. If the link is not listed or the links on the page are also dead, please e-mail us and we will correct the problem.
6. I am more comfortable with the previous release of GeoWEPP. How can I get the version now?
We understand that you may find the new version does not meet your needs as the previous version did. The previous debugged version of GeoWEPP (version March 2004.1) is still available, just follow this link and register again. On the download page, you will see a link to the older version download page.
7. I received an error concerning zlib.dll. What is that all about?
There are machines that have this DLL installed from other software so there could be a zlib.dll in the System32 directory and one in the geowepp directory. If a machine already has a file called zlib.dll installed Windows will use that version, which will lead to errors while running GeoWEPP. If you have experienced this problem and you have either the January 2005 version or the updated March 2004 version, all you need to do is replace the current version of wepptopp2.exe with this version. This should correct any problems.
8. I received an error statement saying that NETFUL.ARC does not exist and I can not continue. What do I do?
This error occurs because the critical source area (CSA) and minimum source channel length (MSCL) combination used does not produce a stream network the first time you load your study site; this error results in GeoWEPP crashing. This error has been corrected. With the new corrected version, if GeoWEPP does not create a stream network the first time, you will be alerted. You will need to try different CSA and MSCL values to create a network.
9. I still have questions. What should I do?
If you are having a problem with GeoWEPP and can not find the answer here, you can send us an e-mail and we will try to fix the problem. When sending the e-mail, please include the following information:
1. The operating system you are using (Windows 98, 2000, NT, XP)
2. What the problem is
3. At what point does it occur (ex: as soon as GeoWEPP starts, after the channel delineation, after WEPP finishes running)
4. Which version you are using (March 2004, March 2004.1, January 2005, earlier version)
5. How do you start GeoWEPP (ex: open ArcView and then the porject, double click geowepp.apr, desktop created shortcut)
This information will help us determine the problem.